Sunday, 10 March 2013

The Teacher as a learning Guide and Enhancing how children learn

I was on a slow boat enroute to Union Island. I picked up these readings and started to read. The sea was so beautiful. as I read I was stunned that teachers are still seeing themselves as the fountain of wisdom. I am not too sure if  there should not be some kind of research to ascertain the extent to which teacher still harbor this archaic way of seeing themselves. The converse where the teacher sees his or herself as a guide or facilitator that give students learning opportunities should be the thinking of the modern class room teacher.
How many teachers pay attention to the enhancement of the children's learning? Do really engage our students actively? Do we allow group work? I mean group according to learning style and not necessarily ability.participating in group work can challenge the shy child and encourage the lazy. Social skill bubble  here. However it is the feed back that is timely and guided will push students to the other level. I still believe that our students are taught using too many examples from the book. That reality element is soooo missing. Where are the video clips form the child'd environment? where is the calypso form the carnival monarch?
We need to teach using a bit more using stuff from their environment. In that same vein the mus be taught how to apply the concepts to their own lives. the English for interview, the Mathematics for carpentry, the spelling for emails and projects.
 These readings made me think again at my own teaching style.

No comments:

Post a Comment